Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pitbulls and Protein


Yesterday while I was blogging this little guy decided to take a nap at my desk under my feet.


My afternoon snack yesterday was my cookies n cream protein shake (Beverly International, UMP) and an orange. I had to rush to eat them because I was busy at work but I was getting so hungry!!
 
Even on days when I don't workout I still like to drink my protein shakes if I can. On 'off' days, your body is still recovering and rebuilding new muscle so it needs a constant supply of protein!
 
You can read this article on taking protein on 'off' days on this Livestrong Website.
 
My lunch was a mix of chicken apple sausage with sweet potato and spinach with carrots and orange peppers on the side. I had some red pepper hummus and some homemade hummus that my friend Mary made, which was awesome!


Sausage, Sweet potato and Spinach Fusion
Ingredients:

1 chicken apple sausage link (aidells or Johnsonville)- One link has 180 calories, 13g protein and only 3g of sugar! (This has 50% less fat than regular sausage, 0 grams trans fat, and No MSG added)
Product Image
1 Sweet potato- (I only used half per serving)
Couple handfuls of Fresh Spinach
Cinnamon and paprika (I eyeballed it- I love lots of cinnamon!)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Coconut oil
 
Directions:
    Cook sausage according to package, set aside
    In another pan, heat 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
    Add chopped sweet potato to pan and cook on medium heat approx 10 min or until your desired softness- I like mine a little crispy!
    Add seasonings to potatoes
    At the end of cooking time, add 2 handfuls of fresh spinach. The spinach will wilt down in about 2 minutes.
    Combine with sausage
    Enjoy!
My afternoon snack was a honey crisp apple with smart balance chunky peanut butter. I really want to try Teddy's Peanut Butter too.

I was still hungry so I also had some trail mix which had dried blueberries, walnuts, and almonds.
 
Around 7 at work I had a JJ's unwich from Jimmy Johns and a small package of pita chips.
 
When I got home I had a handful of tootsie rolls :)
 
It was such a long day that I didn't make it to the gym. I will Saturday though!
 
 
I thought of my sister today because she is usually my workout buddy when I'm off work. She has two pit bulls who are so sweet and love to play, but they do get a bad reputation! Poor boys :(
 
more at http://buckleupbitch.com/
 
Question of the Day:
Do you supplement with a protein shake? What is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment